YouTube continues with its mission to create the best user experience it can as it once again tinkers with the design for our benefit. This time, it's the introduction of a new experimental feature called 'Watch Now' which YouTube hopes will save you a couple of steps and help you find the exact video you were probably hoping to watch. The new shiny thing, which can be enabled in Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari and IE8 and above, places a thumbnail enhanced link with a 'Watch Now' suggestion next to the video it thinks you may be the most interested in.
As you can see from the screenshot below (hat tip to the Google Operating System blog for the info), the new feature starts suggesting which video you may want to watch right now after you have typed in at least four of the first characters. It then gives you the option to watch that video straight away, which is kind of handy I guess, if it just happens to be the exact video you wanted.
YouTube will still offer a suggestion even if your suggestion is a bit vague……
So, now you are all excited and want to activate the new feature, yes? Here are the instructions:
1. Open up youtube.com in a new tab
2. Load your browser's developer console:
* Chrome – press Ctrl+Shift+J for Windows/Linux/ChromeOS or Command-Option-J for Mac
* Firefox – press Ctrl+Shift+K for Windows/Linux or Command-Option-K for Mac
* Opera – press Ctrl+Shift+I for Windows/Linux or Command-Option-I for Mac, then click "Console"
* Safari – instructions here
* Internet Explorer – press F12 and select the "Console" tab.
3. paste the following code which changes a YouTube cookie:
document.cookie="VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE=k2M7rSHFQi4; path=/; domain=.youtube.com";window.location.reload();
4. press Enter and close the console.
I couldn't actually get it to work on FF or Chrome but perhaps it hasn't rolled out to the UK yet (or I just can't follow simple instructions, I don't know). Let us know if it works for you though and what you think about it.
Don't Miss Any Stories!
Get daily online video news, tips and trends via email!