YouTube has confirmed their top trending ads and their top trending videos for 2013 and while there are no real surprises, particularly in the ads section, it's interesting to see the final figures. Of course Ylvis "What Does The Fox Say" and "Harlem Shake" top the trending videos of the year, we wouldn't expect anything else after they exploded all over the internet and beyond. Of the top ten trending, only three are "branded content" - Volvo, Carrie and those Evian Babies. The rest were made for our entertainment and we love that The Lonely Island and Bad Lip Reading get a mention. Although "Spring Break" was way better than "YOLO", just saying.
For the first time, three branded ads made the trending list and it's clear to see why. Although all three had something to promote, they felt more entertainment orientated than commercial. Viewers can be sold to, but increasingly, they expect to be captivated, challenged or amused in the process. The ads that made the list understood that desire and also tapped straight into the YouTube culture by providing content that could also be re-created and imitated by others. For instance, Volvo's Van Damme exploits have already generated parodies from across the web since the day of upload. There are more than 1,200 videos with "epic split" in the title that have been posted to YouTube since November 13th 2013, adding up to 4.2M views. That's some earned media right there. Let's take a look at both lists:
YouTube Rewind - Top Trending Videos of 2013
The top viral videos are no longer confined to YouTube - otherwise they wouldn't be viral, right? The following all made a phenomenal impact on pop culture because we talked about them and shared them via Facebook, Twitter, email, blog posts, Tumblr and other sites. "What Does The Fox Say" grew bigger than that one video - it was also featured on 'Dancing With The Stars', was one of the top searched Halloween costumes, and is being currently being turned into a children’s book.
Although Miley Cyrus's own version of "Wrecking Ball" may have topped VEVO's most watched videos of 2013 but it's the hilarious Chatroulette version by SteveKardynal that made YouTube's own list. Why? Well, YouTube have confirmed that the top trending videos were based on the way interact with them, so they are not necessarily broken down with the view count statistic like the Ads Leaderboard below:
1. Ylvis - The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?) by tvnorge
2. Harlem Shake (original army edition) by kennethaakonsen
3. How Animals Eat Their Food | MisterEpicMann by MisterEpicMann
4. Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball (Chatroulette Version) by SteveKardynal
5. baby&me / the new evian film by EvianBabies
6. Volvo Trucks - The Epic Split feat. Van Damme by VolvoTrucks
7. YOLO (feat. Adam Levine & Kendrick Lamar) by thelonelyisland
8. Telekinetic Coffee Shop Surprise by CarrieNYC
9. THE NFL : A Bad Lip Reading by BadLipReading
10. Mozart vs Skrillex. Epic Rap Battles of History Season 2 by ERB
YouTube Ads Leaderboard - Top Trending Ads on YouTube for 2013
The following list is based on brand videos that were run as ads - not a list of the top branded content. Evian’s "Baby&Me" film generated an astounding 20 million views in just two days and 100 million after 10 weeks. Since its initial upload, some 334 viewer-created versions have appeared and more than 6.9 million viewers have shared the video on social networks.
1. baby&me / Evian film - 66,249,340 Views
2. Dove Real Beauty Sketches - 59,553,696 Views
3. Child of the 90s | Internet Explorer - 47,943,975 Views
4. Pepsi MAX & Jeff Gordon Present: "Test Drive" - 39,551,290 Views
5. Girls Don't Poop - PooPourri.com - 20,035,923 Views
6. Ship My Pants -Kmart - 20,013,129 Views
7. GEICO Hump Day Camel Commercial - 18,569,964 Views
8. Official Ram Trucks Super Bowl Commercial "Farmer" - 16,609,825 Views
9. Volkswagen Game Day 2013 Commercial - 14,740,854 Views
10. Audi 2013 Big Game Commercial - "Prom" - 10,732,209 Views
Don't Miss Any Stories!
Get daily online video news, tips and trends via email!