Well it looks like the rumors are true. Both that(although perhaps more is to come) as well as the rumor the Youtube would be offering a . Well, here is the announcement:
"...For partners and developers, YouTube has grown into much more than a website. It has become an open, general purpose, video services platform, available for use by just about any third-party website, desktop application, or consumer device. We now provide a complete set of (CRUD) capabilities for uploading, managing, searching, and playing back user videos and metadata from the YouTube "cloud," managed by us. We do all of the hard work of transcoding and hosting and streaming and thumbnailing your videos, and we provide open access to our sizable global audience, enabling you to generate traffic for your site, visibility for your brand, or support for your cause. Meanwhile, we provide full access to our substantial video library, enabling you to attract users and enhance the experience on your site. It's all free, and it's available to everyone, starting now." - From the Youtube Blog...
As they state on the blog, the basic gist is that they have released some new APIs.
The following new API services have been added for developers and partners:
- Upload videos and video responses to YouTube
- Add/Edit user and video metadata (titles, descriptions, ratings, comments, favorites, contacts, etc)
- Fetch localized standard feeds (most viewed, top rated, etc.) for 18 international locales
- Perform custom queries optimized for 18 international locales
- Customize player UI and control video playback (pause, play, stop, etc.) through software
For more details about the innovative ways partners are utilizing YouTube APIs, see the case studies.
Learn more about the new features from Youtube engineers or visit API Code section now to get started now.