I just got the big list of all new apps this week on the Xbox 360 dashboard. While YouTube might be one of the more interesting for many, I found the list to be both diverse in content (some aren't about video) and location. For example, some of the apps are Rogers on Demand (Rogers Cable in Canada), SBS on Demand (Australia), etc.
It's certainly an exciting time to be writing about both video games and online video because with screen convergence continuing it also seems that more and more often my two major coverage areas are as well. So I get double duty out of my fantastic PR contacts (Happy Holidays to all of you!).
YouTube (already downloaded on my dashboard) is now available in 24 countries (Australia, Brazil, Canada, Czech Republic, France, Germany , Hong Kong, Ireland, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Singapore, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States, South Africa) which is a major push to say the least. Who would have thought that Google and Microsoft would have managed to get that cozy together what with the search engine clash of the two.
Well, as they had mentioned previously, the new apps are to start rolling out and the first twelve customized entertainment apps to the Xbox LIVE service have surfaced today.
- YouTube (Available in 24 countries globally): From your favorite web original video to gaming tips, a universe of compelling content is available through YouTube on Xbox LIVE.
- blinkbox (UK): blinkbox gives access to a wide range of movies online. With more than 10,000 movies titles movie fans can watch their favorite films immediately with no additional subscription required. (That's TESCO)
- iHeartRadio (U.S.): Listen to more than 800 of the nation's most popular live broadcast radio stations from 150 U.S. cities with iHeartRadio.
- MSN Video (Australia, Canada, Germany, Italy, Mexico and UK): MSN brings you the latest breaking news, sports, celebrity gossip and more from around the globe.
- MSNBC.com (U.S.): MSNBC.com bring you the best of NBC News, MSNBC, Fox Sports, Access Hollywood, original programming and more, on-demand and up-to-date 24/7/365.
- MUZU.TV (Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden and UK): MUZU.TV the music video site, offers nearly 80,000 music videos at your command. Brand new releases from the world's biggest artists, great music videos from every decade, up and coming bands and the latest music news and interviews.
- Rogers On Demand (Canada): Rogers On Demand provides select TV shows and movies to everyone for FREE. Rogers customers can also catch up on their favorite premium programming anytime, from anywhere in Canada.
- SBS ON DEMAND (Australia): SBS ON DEMAND is a catch up TV service that lets you watch full episodes, of your favorite SBS television programs.
- TMZ (Canada, U.S.): Your all-access pass to the latest TMZ entertainment stories and breaking news videos everyone is talking about!
- RTVE (Spain): Complete episodes from series, news programs, documentaries and the best Spanish audiovisual content from RTVE.
- Verizon FiOS TV (U.S.): Get Verizon FiOS TV with 26 live channels like MTV, Spike, Food Network, Comedy Central, HBO, CNN and Nickelodeon – with more to come. Plus with Kinect, change channels with your voice.
*Xbox LIVE Gold membership and/or additional subscriptions/fees may be required.
Now I'm off to go play with the iHeartRadio app. Hope they've got a Christmas music channel!
Don't Miss Any Stories!
Get daily online video news, tips and trends via email!