So my Packers are back to even, poor Bears... That's neither here nor there really as we're here to talk about online video and not at all about football. But sometimes I just can't help myself. Anyway, the week was a busy one and there was some interesting news every day.
Studios See the Light of Digital Rights!
Bloomberg is very bullish on how studios see profit being generated from digital version of their films.
...Hollywood is discovering there’s life after the DVD. With Netflix Inc. (NFLX), Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN), and soon Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) and Coinstar Inc. (CSTR)’s Redbox bidding for rights to stream movies on Kindles, iPads, and TVs, the studios are enjoying a boomlet that’s taking the edge off declining disc sales and rentals...
They say Netflix content acquisition will probably hit $2B this year.
Tablets Add to TV Experience Says Gfk MRI
When simultaneously using their tablet and viewing TV, many two-screen viewers used their tablet to enhance their TV-watching experience. In the past seven days, two-screen viewers:
- Posted comments on Facebook, Twitter, a blog or another website regarding a show being watched: 34%
- Visited a network or show’s website, fan-site or app: 25%
- Obtained information related to a show being watched: 21%
- Watched a video clip related to a show being watched: 16%
- Voted in a contest related to a show being watched: 11%
- Live chatted about a show being watched: 9%
Moreover, in the past seven days, 28% of two-screen viewers used their tablet to look up more information about a product advertised during a show they were watching and 12% purchased a product advertised during a show.
Source: Gfk MRI
Canon Reveals EOS 6D
- Newly designed 20.2 Megapixel Full-Frame CMOS sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion, a wide range ISO setting 100-25600 (L: 50, H1: 51200, H2: 102400) , and the next generation DIGIC 5+ Image Processor
- New 11-point AF including a high-precision center cross-type AF point with EV-3 sensitivity
- iFCL Metering with 63-zone dual-layer metering sensor that utilizes AF and color information
- Continuous shooting up to 4.5 fps for capturing fast-action.
- EOS HD Video with manual exposure control and multiple frame rates (1080: 30p (29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p, 720: 60p (59.94) / 50p, 480: 30p (29.97) / 25p) with 4 GB automatic file partitioning (continuous recording time: 29 minutes, 59 seconds), selectable "All i-frame" (UHS-I Card is required) or IPB compressions, embedded timecode, and manual audio level control.
- Built-in Wi-Fi transmitter allows you to wirelessly transfer your images to social networking sites through CANON iMAGE GATEWAY,
- Built-in GPS Receiver records location information (longitude, latitude, elevation and universal coordinated time (UTC)) as EXIF information
- Compact and lightweight body with shutter durability tested up to 100,000 cycles, enhanced dust and weather resistance, and EOS Integrated Cleaning System
- 3.0-inch Clear View LCD monitor, 160° viewing angle, 1,040,000-dot VGA, reflection resistance with multi coating and high-transparency materials for bright and clear viewing.
- High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Multiple Exposure modes expand creative possibilities, and Scene Intelligent Auto and Special Scene Modes
- Compatible with SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards, including new Ultra High-Speed (UHS-I) cards.
20th Century FOX Deals to Google/YouTube
Google announced today that Google Play and YouTube are getting over 600 titles from Twentieth Century Fox, for users to rent and/or purchase.
“Today you can buy Fox’s new release Prometheus in HD, available three weeks ahead of the Blu-ray, DVD and video-on-demand release,” writes Jonathan Zepp, Manager of TV & Film Content Partnerships at Google, on the Official Google Blog. “And over the next few weeks you’ll be able to rent or buy your favorite Fox movies like X-Men, Ice Age and Black Swan, and TV shows like ‘Glee,’ ‘Modern Family,’ ‘New Girl’ and many more.”
Jivox Partners with Nielsen on TV Metrics Offering
Combining Nielsen Online Campaign Ratings demographic information with the data generated when users engage with Jivox video ads creates a unique set of analytics that show:
- Ad delivery by demographic
- Comparison of on-target ad delivery by publisher
- Ad engagement by demographic
- Comparison of on-target engagement by publisher
Brands and agencies can use the Jivox offering to ensure that campaigns are delivered accurately to targeted demographics and also to determine which publishers and media are delivering the best performance of on-target delivery as well as on-target ad engagement. The detailed reports include rich graphical visualization, which enable media planners and account teams within agencies to optimize campaigns using demographic measurement as a way to ensure brand ROI.
The Kaltura Education Video Summit call for speakers is now open
The Kaltura Education Video Summit is taking place on December 6, 2012 as a virtual conference. More than 500 attendees will be tuning in to listen to the conference sessions on the hot topics related to video in education and learning. If you are interested in reaching this audience, this is your opportunity to do so.
We are looking for suggestions for session topics, speakers and panels.
If you would like to contribute to the conference agenda, please submit your idea or suggested speaker. The deadline to submit your content or speakers for the Summit is October 19, 2012. We will let you know shortly after that if you were selected to be a presenter or panelist, or whether your topic has been approved.
NetGear Brings New NeoTV Streaming Players
The NeoTV streaming player family consists of three models: NeoTV, NeoTV Pro, and NeoTV Max. Each includes a remote control with one-touch Quick Start buttons that can be set to specific preferences such as Netflix, YouTube, and so forth. Customers also have the option of downloading a remote control app from Google's Play Store or Apple's App Store, turning a smartphone or tablet into a touchscreen remote control for a NeoTV player.
Don't Miss Any Stories!
Get daily online video news, tips and trends via email!