We do our best every to cover the most important, most interesting, and most actionable news and articles in the world of online video. But we can't cover everything... at least, until we start cloning ourselves. So this weekly Sunday column is an attempt to highlight the best of the rest of the news stories and editorials from the previous week that we didn't cover.
Without further ado...
Online Video News (& Rumors)
- Microsoft might be set to announce a new Xbox-Live-related Internet television service called "Diamond" at the upcoming E3 trade show. Read more about the rumor here.
- Whatever it ends up being, Apple's upcoming iCloud product/service has everyone talking. Here's one man's guess at how video might play a role.
- If Netflix wants to keep programming from Starz, it's going to cost them an arm and a leg.
- Twitter search now includes images and video... awesome, and long-overdue.
- Sony got hacked again. This is getting ridiculous.
- YouTube took a noble stand when they changed their minds and reinstated the video of Syrian boy who was tortured. They pulled the video for its graphic content, but then received worldwide pressure to put it back up for it's news and cultural value, particularly to the Syrian people. It's an uncomfortable subject, but an important one. Read more here.
Online Video Editorials & Opinions
- How do you win at online video? Bob Dees over at Media Post has some thoughts on the matter.
- Scott Webster at Cnet thinks Android will continue to dominate this summer.
- The Guardian has decided to just declare Television dead already.
Gadgets, Tools, & Software
- This could have gone under news as well: Sharing your Netflix account in the state of Tennessee is now a crime. Time to stop letting your friends get free videos by using your credentials.
- Angry Birds is coming to the Roku device--you'll be able to play the game, watch video shorts, and access the Angry Birds store. Check it out.
- Google, Yahoo, & Microsoft have created a joint project called Schema.org, which aims to be a resource for site owners to learn more about structured data and to helkp make search listings more robust and rich. Read more about it here.
- Do you want to be on Simon Cowell's new talent show, The X Factor? Well, you can audition for the show via YouTube. Click here for all the details.
- Video game fanatics are all buzzing about the brand new trailer for Duke Nukem Forever.
- Personal video curation tips to turn your iPad into a video utopia.
I Leave You With…
One of the coolest music videos I've seen in a while, and one that incorporates light and architecture to create a video effect that I've just never seen before. Very cool stuff. Enjoy:
Don't Miss Any Stories!
Get daily online video news, tips and trends via email!