If you're anything like me, you had a pretty busy week. Maybe your dealing with back-to-school madness or just started a new job? Whatever the specific details of your life, we all get sidetracked and distracted throughout the week, which means we miss important news in our industry. That's why we created this weekly online video news round up, so you can still chauffeur kids to soccer practice during the week without missing out on the latest online video news.
Reel Stories You Might Have Missed
- The second episode of The Reel Web talked about cable companies losing customers to streaming services like Hulu.
- Ad Age's best branded viral videos of all time.
- We learned that 50% of tablet users are watching video.
- YouTube is now streaming movies in Canada.
- Netflix might be in trouble after the Starz negotiations broke down just as the price hike took effect.
- We took at a look at the new YouTube Creator Playbook.
Online Video News
- Very few smartphone users are actually watching movies on their devices. (Home Media Magazine)
- YouTube users can help choose questions for the upcoming GOP presidential candidates' debate. (YouTube)
- Nalts noticed and wrote about some new ad units he was seeing on YouTube. (Nalts)
- Hulu has launched in Japan. (WebTVWire)
- Social TV company, Miso, has a new deal with DirecTV. (AdWeek)
- Consumers like streaming video subscriptions (like Netflix) over transactional video on demand. (Home Media Magazine)
- Another online video company files to go public even while they're struggling to make a profit. (MultiChannel.com)
- Expect more online video content related to college football this season. (BroadcastingCable.com)
Online Video Editorial & Opinion
- David Murdico writes about what CPG marketers need to know about integrating video and social media. (MediaPost)
- The most recent edition of our Social Video Blueprint series focused on Social Video Best Practices. (ReelSEO)
- Adam Singolda encourages you to disrupt things. (Media Post)
- VideoNuze wonders just who the ad networks are working for. (VideoNuze)
Gadgets, Tools, Software, & Tips
- A guest author gave us 8 Tips for social video success (ReelSEO)
- SocialCam--the "Instagram for video" from Justin.TV--is doing well and is being spun off from its parent company. (WebTVWire)
- The Reel Web Weekly Creator Tip: Make your video easy to share. (ReelSEO)
- All the latest iPhone 5 rumors collected in one place. (Gizmodo)
- Use YouTube Insight HotSpot to help learn about audience engagement. (ReelSEO)
- Tango video calling service headed to Windows phones. (Engadget.com)
The Lighter Side of Online Video News
- The latest TV show featuring viral videos is not very good. (ReelSEO)
- Red Bull is doing a lot of things right when it comes to online video. (ReelSEO)
- Taylor Swift stopped by YouTube to answer users' questions. (YouTube)
- Building a web series around an item of popular culture without violating copyright laws. (ReelSEO)