It was another huge week for online video news, with final bids for Hulu being turned in on Friday. I'm pretty surprised we haven't seen any leaks on those bids as of yet, but it is the weekend. Expect there to be news on the sale of Hulu early next week. Until then... catch up on the rest of last week's video news with our weekly online video news round up.
Reel Stories You Might Have Missed
- Did you hear? ReelSEO has their own video series now. It's called The Reel Web. Hosted by Tim Schmoyer, the series aims to break down the latest online video news, offer weekly video producer tips, and much more. We need your feedback to make The Reel Web as good as it can be, so check it out today.
- The Google Plus +1 button now lets you share video (and other content) to your Circles directly from the button itself.
- Brightcove filed to go public.
- Wow. YouTube gets 790 million uniques per month and is the second most popular website in the world behind only Facebook.
- comScore has added "Select YouTube Partner Channels" to their monthly video metrix.
- Fox's decision to end next-day online access for their TV show episodes has dramatically increased piracy.
Online Video News
- Taboola has raised a whopping $9 Million to fund video recommendations. (Washington Post)
- Bummer. Apple's done with $0.99 TV show rentals on iTunes. (Web TV Wire)
- 22% of U.S. broadband homes use Netflix. (Home Media Magazine)
- Another wave of full-length pirated movies hit YouTube last week (Web TV Wire), including The Godfather (NY Times).
Online Video Editorials & Opinions
- In this week's Social Video Blueprint installment, we discussed all the various catalysts that exist for video-sharing behavior. (ReelSEO)
- Footwear apparel brands are killing it with social video, particularly DC Shoes. (Ad Age)
- Reel author Christophor Rick thinks Netflix could be doomed by a lack of new content. (ReelSEO)
Gadgets, Tools, & Software
- The PGA Tour will offer live streaming coverage of this year's PGA Tour Playoffs. (BroadcastingCable.com)
- TubeMogul is teaming up with Nexage to offer real-time mobile video ads. (ReelSEO)
- Verizon released a new version of VCast videos called Verizon Video that offers mobile streaming of popular television shows. (Droid Matters)
The Lighter Side of Online Video
- YouTube singing sensation (and "next Bieber") Greyson Chance has released an album and is attempting to cross over from YouTube to the mainstream music world. (Yahoo! News)
- Did you hear the one about how the actress playing Catwoman in the new Batman film did research involving cat videos on YouTube? (MTV)
- Another YouTube star makes the big-time with a book deal. Oh, did I mention it's a cat? (ReelSEO)
- The Muppets and Ok Go got together this week and scored a huge viral video hit. (ReelSEO)