As usual, there was plenty of news in the online video world this past week. And as usual, you were probably a bit too busy to keep up with all of it. We saw more major updates to YouTube's design and services, some important Google Plus news, and a whole lot more. So if you missed any of the week's big stories, fret not. We've compiled the best of the best right here in our weekly online video news round up.
Reel News You Might Have Missed
- We offered the free e-book, The Social Video Blueprint (still available!)
- YouTube updates Video Editor, Video Manager, & Browse page.
- 60 hours of video uploaded to YouTube every minute.
- Google Plus now mandatory part of Gmail sign-up.
- Google Plus was in the news a second time by opening up the service to teens 13 and up.
- Is Chill.com a Pintrest for videos?
- Streaming Super Bowl ads have a higher CPM than the TV broadcast.
- Online ads coupled with TV ads more effective than either format alone?
- Android video viewing is catching up to iOS in a hurry.
Online Video News
- Is Facebook going public very soon? (Fierce Online Video)
- Look at Nalts, earning the title of "Viral Video Whisperer" from Forbes! (Forbes)
- Online video ad buyers want results. (Streaming Media)
- Netflix just wants everybody to get along. (All Things D)
- Paramount first to sell Ultraviolet films directly on their site. (The Verge)
- Time Warner says online is still no substitute for cable. (Ad Age)
- Amazon taking on Netflix? (New York Post)
Online Video Editorials & Opinions
- Katalyst Media president, Anthony Batt, on the future of branded content. (ReelSEO)
- The business case for HTML5 video. (Streaming Media)
- YouTube killed the TV star. (Business 2 Community)
- Machinima CEO, Allen DeBevoise, seems to have similar ideas of where branded content is going. (ReelSEO)
Gadgets, Tools, Tips, & Software
- The Boxee Live TV Adabpter is here, but it might be too late. (ReelSEO)
- Better video thumbnails can boost video SEO. (Multichannel Merchant)
- The Reel Web offers YouTube tips for our subscribers & fans. (ReelSEO)
- Low-cost video tools & gadgets on Kickstarter. (No Film School)
- Tips for shooting indoors without lighting. (Filmmaker IQ)
- Strategies for preparing video for tablets. (Streaming Media)
- Custom tips for our YouTube followers. (ReelSEO)