This was one of the biggest weeks in history for technology-related news, as the world mourned the passing of Steve Jobs. There were also a huge number of stories with a direct impact on the Internet TV wars, as streaming services added new content and brand new streaming services were created and launched.
If you missed any news stories this week in the online video world, and you need to catch up, you've come to the right place:
Reel Stories You Might Have Missed
- The Reel Web explored the future of YouTube in our latest episode.
- Hulu Ad Swap is a cool idea.
- Tons of Netflix news this week: They're trying to strike a deal with Fox to land the new season and feature film of Arrested Development, they won their regulation battle in Canada, and they announced an exclusive licensing deal with AMC to carry The Walking Dead.
- Yahoo's moving back into video content creation again with a new ABC-partnered news series, and a host of new scripted web series as well with the relaunched Screen.
- Not wanting to be left out of the party, AOL is beefing up the web series content they offer as well.
- Interactive mobile video ads from Tapjoy.
Online Video News
- Web has overtaken TV in the UK as the favorite ad medium. (Yahoo)
- Brightroll has launched TAG, the "industry's first Total Audience Guarantee. (Brightroll)
- Hulu is trying to get in on that Arrested Development deal and wrestle it away from Netflix. (New York Magazine)
- YouTube rentals have come to the UK. (YouTube)
- Speaking of Hulu... their revenues are reportedly still climbing. (AllThingsDigital)
- More than half of Netflix streams are TV, not films. (Guardian)
Online Video Editorials & Opinions
- A buyer's guide to online video platforms. (Streaming Media)
- Industry professionals speak to the impact of Steve Jobs on the online video world. (ReelSEO)
- Is a standalone streaming service coming from Amazon? (Fierce Online Video)
- The predicted losses for Netflix might have been overblown. (Fierce Online Video)
Gadgets, Tools, Tips, & Software
- How to change your YouTube URL. (ReelSEO)
- New Penn & Teller app let's viewers play along with Tell A Lie. (Multichannel News)
- Xbox Live is about to get tons of great video content. (Xbox.com)
- TidalTV video ads are coming to Roku. (ReelSEO)
- The SocialCam app has reached 2 million downloads. (GigaOm)
- iPhone 4S & video--what you need to know. (ReelSEO)
- How to track your video performance with YouTube Insight. (ReelSEO)