As is the case with every week, there were a number of big stories, announcements, and releases in the world of online video over the past seven days. Odds are pretty good you didn't catch them all. So each week we put together this weekly online video news round up, covering news, opinions, tips, and more, to help you get caught up for the week ahead.
Reel Stories You Might Have Missed
- Real-time bidding is on the rise at leading video advertising networks.
- Over at AdoTube, overlay ads are besting pre-roll.
- Huge news: Google unveiled AdWords For Video
- Episode 6 of The Reel Web contains tips on converting 2D videos to 3D videos, along with a lot more news and humor as well.
- Chris talked about multiple examples of how horror and science fiction are on the rise in web series.
- Amazon Prime signed a big content deal with Fox.
- In Netflix news, we learned streaming customers use the service more frequently than DVD customers, the company's future is dependent upon content deals, and that DiSH's Blockbuster Movie Pass hopes to carve some of Netflix's market share out for itself.
- We were fortunate enough to get an exclusive interview with the very cool host of Film Riot, Ryan Connolly.
Online Video News
- Google made the highest bid for Hulu, again. (Business Insider)
- Vizu is expanding the way they measure video ads. (VideoNuze)
- Blip.tv is adding subscriptions. (Tubefilter)
- Hulu extended their deal with Miramax to include Japan. (Fierce Online Video)
- Time Warner & HBO Go are finally close to a deal. (Fierce Online Video)
- NBC is launching a new digital studio called Universal Cable Productions. (Tubefilter)
Online Video Opinions & Editorials
- 9 Tips for increasing video conversions. (ReelSEO)
- Some cable operators might want to go a la carte. (Reuters)
- Is the term "web series" a good one or a bad one? (MediaPost)
- Easy way to increase video ROI. (Social Times)
- 5 signs social video is closing the ad-spending gap. (MediaPost)
- Don't hold your breath on a la carte cable. (Los Angeles Times)
Gadgets, Tools, & Software
- How to better engage your video community. (ReelSEO)
- Comcast access coming to Xbox Live? (Bloomberg)
- Amazon's new Silk browser for Kindle is a better video experience. (VideoNuze)
The Lighter Side Of Online Video
- The shot-for-shot live-action fan remake of Toy Story is pretty awesome. (ReelSEO)
- What's it like to work at YouTube? (YouTube)
- This year, The Walking Dead has a companion web series. (ReelSEO)
- YouTube gives us 10 filmmakers under 21 to keep our eyes on. (YouTube)
- The Mortal Kombat web series has been so successful, the director is now making a new feature film. (ReelSEO).