How do you create and submit a Video Sitemap to Google for Video SEO? How can you attempt to get your videos indexed into Google video, web, and universal search? These questions and more were answered in ReelSEO's recent webinar: "Make Your Videos Discoverable – Google Video Sitemaps Best Practices!" We had Google on-board to help present and the following is a recap of the webinar.
Video Sitemaps Best Practices - Featuring Google
A little less than 2 weeks ago, we conducted a successful webinar (with more than 1000 registrants and 450 attendees) all about best practices for using video sitemaps for website video SEO. The world's largest search engine teamed up with ReelSEO to provide the best possible information on what a video sitemap is, what it should include, where to submit it and how to get the most out of it.
Nelson Lee, Product Manager for Google Videos, provided several valuable tips for video sitemaps and talked about how to overcome some common issues that he has observed first-hand. Following the presentation, we had more than an hour of Q&A from attendees.
Google Video Sitemaps Webinar Video Recording
As promised, the following is a complete recording of the Google Video Sitemaps webinar.
The video has the following sections, which you are welcome to skip directly to, using the links below:
- Video Sitemaps Overview - Mark Robertson (me)
- Video Sitemaps Elements - Amy MacIsaac
- Video Sitemaps Best Practices - Nelson Lee
- Questions & Answers
In addition to the recording, you are welcome to download the presentation from slideshare here. If you have any questions about the webinar or about video sitemaps that weren't addressed already in the webinar (IE - I wont answer questions that you could get the answer to just by watching the video above) feel free to ask those questions below in the comments area.
Some thank you's are appropriate here. To start, thank you to all of our readers for your ongoing support and please keep that up. We are doing our best to provide quality information for anyone that is interested in online video. I hope that you are able to benefit from this webinar and we'll be announcing another one soon. Of course, special thanks to both Nelson Lee and Amy MacIsaac from Google for being a part of this webinar.
Video Sitemaps Resources:
- Stay informed: Official Webmaster Central Blog
- Start implementing: Read Google's Help Center articles
- Have questions? Post in Google's Help Forum
Click Here to Expand The Presentation Outline
- Make Your Videos Discoverable Google Video Sitemaps Best Practices September 29th, 2010
- Today's agenda • Mark Robertson o Introductions o Overview • Amy MacIsaac o Specifications • Nelson Lee o Best practices • Q&A o Submit your questions via chat
- Nelson Lee Product Manager, Google Video Search Products • Nelson Lee is a Product Manager on Video Search, which is Google‟s index and corpus of videos on the Web. • Prior to working at Google, Nelson finished his PhD in Computer Science at Stanford University. • Throughout his time at Stanford, he has interned as a software engineer and researcher at numerous tech companies including HP Labs, Microsoft Research and Apple Computer, Inc. • He is a Beatles fanatic and knows just about every harmony part to every Beatles song.
- Amy MacIsaac Strategic Partner Manager, Google‟s Content Partnerships Team • Amy has worked for Google for 6 1/2 years. • During her tenure at Google Amy has spent much of her time in the AdWords Sales and Operations organization managing revenue programs and segmentation projects. • Part of the launch teams for Google‟s Traditional Media initiatives. • Spent almost 20 years working in traditional & online media. • Prior to Google Amy spent much many years at Ziff Davis Publishing, Lycos, Inc and Looksmart, Inc., in sales and marketing roles. • She has a B.A. in Business Administration from Northeastern University.
- Video Sitemaps Overview
- Video search for video discovery Users Use Search To Find Video • 38% of all US online users report using search engines‟ results to discover video1 • 54% of online users reported using YouTube‟s search to discover video1 • Dec 2008 – YouTube becomes 2nd largest search engine in US2 Search Engines Drive Video Referral Traffic • Search generates the highest volume of traffic to web video content3 • 40.1% from Google • 16.8% from Yahoo • 13.1% from Bing • 2.7% from AOL Sources: 1JupiterResearch/NPD Group Individual User Survey (6/2008) | 2 Comscore Search Rankings (6/2009) | 3Tubemogul (9/2010)
- Importance of Google Videos Videos Dominate Universal Search • 38% of users who searched Google were served video in Universal search engine results pages („08) Source – "Google Universal Search Results Searcher Penetration by Result Type" – ComScore – Jan 2008
- Importance of Google Videos • A large audience for your videos • Supplies video content to Google's video and web search
- Why create a Sitemap or mRSS • Provides key video information to Google • Optional meta tags describe your video content • Improves crawling and indexing chances Help Google index your videos.... ..create a Video Sitemap or mRSS feed
- Step by step 1. Create a Video Sitemap or mRSS feed 2. Submit via Webmaster Console 3. Googlebot crawls to verify video exists 4. Video is then eligible to be indexed in Google Videos
- Specifications: Amy
- Video Sitemaps/mRSS 101 Required elements at a glance: Elements Sitemap/mRSS Title Required Description Required Play Page Required Thumbnail Required Player or Content Loc Required Duration Highly Recommended Expiration Highly Recommended Regional Restrict (if relevant) Highly Recommended Help Articles: Creating a Video Sitemap or Using mRSS feed as a Sitemap
- Best Practices: Nelson
- Best practices 1. Public Access: Sitemaps/mRSS must be saved at a publicly accessible URL. Google cannot retrieve files from URLs that are protected by authentication (even basic HTTP authentication). The feed and the URLs pointed to by the feed must have their robots.txt file set for User-agent "Googlebot". Help Articles: Creating a Video Sitemap or Using mRSS feed as a Sitemap
- Best practices 2. Location of video is unknown: At least one of <video:player_loc> and <video:content_loc> is required (both are suggested) Help Articles: Creating a Video Sitemap or Using mRSS feed as a Sitemap
- Best practices 3. Rejected for unsupported formats. (ie: QVT) Supported <video:content_loc> formats include .mpg, .mpeg, .mp4, .m4v, .mov, .wmv, .asf, .avi, .ra, .ram, .rm, .flv. • Note if <video:player_loc> is specified then unsupported formats is not an issue Help Articles: Creating a Video Sitemap or Using mRSS feed as a Sitemap
- Best practices 4. Missing XML Tag: Required tags cannot be omitted such as: <loc>, <video:title>, <video:description>, <video:thumbnail> and either <video:player_loc> or <video:content_loc> Any missing tag will prevent the video from getting indexed. Help Articles: Creating a Video Sitemap or Using mRSS feed as a Sitemap
- Best practices 5. Empty Tag values: None of the tags included should be left empty. If information for a particular tag is not available, do not list that tag in the sitemap. Help Articles: Creating a Video Sitemap or Using mRSS feed as a Sitemap
- Best practices 6. Duplicate URLs in the <loc> Fields: This error says that a URL is duplicated and is repeated under various location tags. Specifically the <loc> tag, <video:player_loc> tag and the <video:content_loc> tag should not be the same or it will report an error and prevent us from processing. Help Articles: Creating a Video Sitemap or Using mRSS feed as a Sitemap
- Best practices 7. Invalid Tag Values: Any value listed under a tag has to be in an acceptable format as per the spec. ie: expiration date: Acceptable formats are (YYYY-MM-DD) or YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss+TZD) Help Articles: Creating a Video Sitemap or Using mRSS feed as a Sitemap
- Best practices 8. Provide expiration date or return a soft 404: Help Articles: Creating a Video Sitemap or Using mRSS feed as a Sitemap
- Resources @ Google o Learn more: Google.com/videositemaps o Stay informed: Official Webmaster Central Blog o Start implementing: Read our Help Center articles o Have questions? Post in our Help Forum @ ReelSEO o Video SEO Guide: ReelSEO.com/seo-for-video/ o Video Marketing News: ReelSEO.com/video/marketing o Video SEO News: ReelSEO.com/video/seo/
- Thank You – Please Visit: http://www.ReelSEO.com/ http://video.Google.com/ - Stay tuned for news about our next webinar