The YouTube Creator Playbook is a goldmine for anyone looking to improve their video marketing efforts. It's jam-packed with tips, suggestions, and actionable advice on virtually every aspect of using YouTube. For this week's video producer tip from The Reel Web, we look at some of the best video SEO tips for YouTube from the Creator Playbook.
Video SEO Tips For YouTube
Here are 10 guaranteed ways to dominate YouTube search:
- "Likes" and "favorites" increase your video's ranking in search.
- Publishing content regularly will improve your ranking in the algorithm.
- More content will lead to more viewership and better rankings in the algorithms.
- With video titles: put keywords first, and branding at the end. But also make sure your titles are compelling to the viewer.
- Write good tags. Include tags that are common, but also some that are specific. Place the keywords you want to carry the most weight first. YouTube recommends writing 12 tags or more. Also, mirror the title of the video, using the same word order in tags.
- The algorithm favors comprehensive descriptions. Put your most compelling description information first. Include keywords in the descriptive text, as well as subscription links and links to your channel page.
- YouTube's search algorithm favors videos that drive traffic to other videos, playlists, channels, or subscriptions via linked annotations.
- Having your videos placed in playlists improves your content's ranking in the algorithm.
- Having a lot of video responses to your content also helps improve your search ranking.
- Respond to comments in the first few hours after your video is posted, because those viewers are your core audience. Building comments early also helps increase the video's ranking in search.
Tell us what you think..
Are you already following any of these SEO practices? Are there any tricks you're using that aren't included in the Creator Playbook's list?
Last I told you guys about this document right here, the YouTube Creator playbook. And man, guys, this thing is just awesome. YouTube put all their best practices and best strategies and everything in one place. But what I want to focus on is some of the things that they mentioned that influence their search algorithm and how you guys can best optimize your videos to take advantage of some of those things.
One, likes and favorites increase your videos rankings in search. Before we go onto the next one, why don’t you just go down there and click ours for us? Thanks!
Two, publishing content regularly will improve your ranking in the algorithm. So if you post inconsistently, you might want to change that.
Three, more content will lead to more viewership and better rankings in the algorithms. In other words, YouTube wants you to post a whole lot of stuff. There’s a whole section in this book about metadata and just how critical it is for building traffic from searches and related videos. Also,specifically…
Four, write good titles! Put keywords first and branding at the end. But also make sure your titles are compelling so that people actually want to click on them.
Five, you also need to write really good tags. Include tags that are both very common and very specific that are also relevant to the video and place the keywords that you want to carry the most weight, place them first. Use plenty of variations and put quotes and phrases in quotation marks. They recommend writing twelve tags or more and just using up that entire 120 character limit that they give you in that field. Also mirror the title in the tags using the same words in the same order that they appear in your title.
Six, what you write in the description is very important as well. Put your most compelling information first and be sure to include plenty of keywords and links. Also in your description make sure you include a link to your channel page, a link people can click to subscribe to your content, your social media links, and any other links that might be relevant to the content you’re presenting in your video. Click the show more link below this video. It will expand and you will see all the links that we put up there for you. Also in your description, YouTube recommends that you include a recurring keyword tagline that it’s just a couple sentences that summarizes what your show is about it and it also uses plenty of your keywords. And if you like, you can always repeat or add additional tags to the bottom of your description too.
Seven, YouTube search algorithm favors videos that drive traffic to other videos, playlists, channels, or subscriptions via linked annotations. So if you want your videos to rank well on YouTube, you’ve got to spread the love to other places.
Eight, having your videos listed in playlists improves your content’s ranking in the algorithm.
Nine, having a lot of video responses posted to your content will also help increase your videos rankings in search.
Ten, respond to comments in the first few hours after your video is published because building comments very early helps increase the videos rankings in search. It’s easy for me because I love responding to comments. That’s what I like about YouTube most is the interaction and the dialogue that we can have here together. So please leave a comment below if you don’t leave a video response and just let us know what you think about the videos.
The link to this entire book from YouTube is down there if you want to download that.
If you’re not a subscriber, subscribe to our videos. Make sure you click that subscribe button right up there or you can click right there as well to stay up to date with our videos.
We release them every Monday and Wednesday and we just want to keep you guys up to date with all the latest video news and tips and training and advice and suggestions and everything we can do to help you guys make your videos stand out on the web. Also in the description below this video on YouTube, as if I haven’t pointed you guys there enough already this episode. The final links down there, you can connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
I love using the Facebook page. I even shared my desktop with you guys there once. We had a great time while I was editing the video. You guys hung out and edited it with me, gave me tips and suggestions. That was awesome hanging out with you guys. So definitely like our Facebook page so we can interact and hang out there more.
And I will see you guys again next week for another look at the Reel Web. I will see you then. Bye!