Late last year, Marketing Sherpa, released an in-depth report geared on the fast-growing landscape of video marketing titled, "Marketing With Video Report: Online, TV & Mobile.” In their research for the report, they asked a sample of marketers using video advertising, either online or on TV, what effect various tactics would have on their video ads. The answer was a resounding, "We Want More Interactivity in Video Ads."
73% of video marketers agree that adding interactivity to a video ad will increase the effectiveness of the ad. And thank God for that answer. I do wonder about the other 27% who disagree. I mean, how the heck would you get the idea that incorporating greater interactivity might not increase conversions/effectiveness/etc...? Not to say that the question shouldn't have been asked. Clearly it is important for companies in the video advertising space to understand what is most important to the marketers that are leveraging video advertising.
What about the other questions and responses from this survey?
- 67% agree that "Making lots of versions for various consumer targets" can increase effectiveness. One benefit to relatively inexpensive online video production costs is that companies can create multiple versions of video ads, with little cost. If you can create different versions of your ad that are geared towards different target audiences, you can realize an increase in ad effecitveness. This is not a new concept as this is done all the time with behavioral and geotargetted online display advertising.
- 53% agree that "Having an 800 number or website address on screen through the whole ad" can increase effectiveness. Having a call-tracking number or website URL in your video can be beneficial for tracking purposes and sometimes, for ad effectiveness. However, not sure if it is a good idea to have throughout the entire ad. With interactive features and functionality, you can allow users to more deeply interactive with your content. My suggestion is to have your website URL or call tracking number visible, but not throughout the entire video.
- 61% agree that "Creating sequential ads that are designed to work in unison" and 34% agree that "Showing an ad many times in a short period of time" can increase effectiveness. As frequency of exposure increases, effectiveness increases as well - up to a point. Effectiveness will eventually plateau and then decline with too much exposure. Frequency capping and media planning are important when using this technique.
- 6% agree that "Making the volume much louder than the program the ad is in" can increase effectiveness - WTF? Ok, thankfully only 6%. PEOPLE (me yelling) - online video is a lean-forward experience. What I mean is that it is different than watching TV (lean-back) where folks are not actively watching commercials and ads (except perhaps the superbowl). So, there is little reason to shout at them like you might see in a local car dealer's commercial on TV. This may get a users attention, but just like pop-up ads, loud video ads are not only annoying, but they can hurt the brand and have a negative effect on purchase intent - IE, less effective
Interactivity in Video Banner Ads/Rich Media Display Ads
One of the companies that we've profiled many times, Mixpo, does a great job of incorportaing interactivty within their video player designed primarily for SMBs to run interactive video banner ads. Our most recent with Mixpo was with their CEO, Anupam Gupta, at the Kelsey Group's ILM conference late last year. Amoung other things, Anupam spoke with us about the difference that they have measured in performance of traditional banner ads vs. video banner ads as a result of this added interactivity. http://media.reelseo.com/anupam-gupta-mixpo-interview.flv
Don't Miss Any Stories!
Get daily online video news, tips and trends via email!