According to new research released today by Unruly, five Vine videos are shared on Twitter every second. Unruly also announced the 100 most tweeted short looping videos created and shared with Vine, Twitter’s popular new mobile video app, which celebrated its 100-day birthday this week.
Using data collected from Unruly’s new Vine app, the study also found that branded Vines are four times more likely to be shared than branded online videos and that, generally, more Vine tweets occur during the weekend than all of the weekdays combined.
Top Vine Stats/Metrics:
Collecting data from over 10 million Vines during a one-month period, Unruly found that:
- On average, 5 tweets per second contained a Vine link;
- Weekends are the most popular time to share Vines. In fact, in most cases, they are more popular than all the previous weekdays combined;
- Branded content accounts for 4% of the Top 100 tracked Vines (in comparison, only 1% of content is branded in the Unruly Viral Video Chart Top 100 Most Shared Videos);
- Between 10-11 am EDT is when most Vine activity occurs;
- Out of the 10 million Vines sampled, only 433 had more than 500 tweets, 176 had over 1,000 tweets and just 51 had more than 2,000 tweets;
- The largest number of Vine tweets during the sample period (19,667) was sent on Monday, April 15 at 3-4pm EDT – just after the Boston Marathon explosions;
- The number one Vine tracked over the period had 47,000 tweets, while the 100th most shared Vine video had 1,400 (see link below for top 100).
“This data can really help brands determine a strategy for using Vine in their marketing efforts. We have already seen brands like General Electric, Adidas, AT&T, Volvo, Pepsi-Co and GAP adapt to the platform,” said Matt Cooke, the CTO and co-founder at Unruly. “Vine is being used in a very complementary way to Twitter, with the 6-second video becoming the ‘ad’, much like the 140-character tweet.”
Top 20 Most Tweeted Vines
|1||Harry Styles||Emo's getting ready||47,894||http://vine.co/v/btBiEqQpgeU|
|2||Doug||Boston Marathon news||39,546||http://vine.co/v/bFdt5uwg6JZ|
|3||Harry Styles||Running and getting swooped at||33,757||http://vine.co/v/bUn7ddg2j9r|
|4||Lou Teasdale||Clickin clubbing||25,146||http://vine.co/v/btbFIFKh9qX|
|6||TylerTheCreator||Real Harlem Shake||12,573||http://vine.co/v/bDFIMdrr6BK|
|7||Mike Carroll||FBI agent climbing||11,015||http://vine.co/v/bU6YvrOvnvx|
|8||Mike Lerner||That's a lot of phones||7,515||http://vine.co/v/bUMaEpnnjLn|
|9||The Wolverine||Movie Teaser||7,312||http://vine.co/v/bDExaiMjJ1F|
|10||Will Sasso||I Will Always Love You||7,076||http://vine.co/v/bgep05eMY3l|
|11||Lou Teasdale||Happy Birthday Tour||6,751||http://vine.co/v/bDMMiIjLVq0|
|13||Wiz Khalifa||Best mom ever||6,121||http://vine.co/v/bFqbzzH2zmD|
|14||Lou Teasdale||Me and Niall tour bus||5,525||http://vine.co/v/bDbuFEZd1BX|
|15||Wiz Khalifa||Im finna teleport||5,403||http://vine.co/v/btlIn0b067x|
|17||Darren Criss||Principal’s office||4,629||http://vine.co/v/bTKiUUpZJFd|
|18||Darren Criss||Blaine on tour||4,290||http://vine.co/v/bPF6rA5bjpL|
|19||Kellin Quinn||Me getting naked||4,142||http://vine.co/v/bjj6erPUPEa|
|20||Marlo Meekins||MarLo Meekins's post||3,972||http://vine.co/v/b623zdwVuJB|
“Vine sharing is really starting to take off. In just over 100 days, we are already seeing 5 Vine videos being shared every second. There is a massive opportunity here for brands to get really creative with this 6-second sensation, either to grab people’s attention quickly or as part of a much larger content marketing strategy,” Cooke added.
“However, advertisers need to remember the fundamentals of why people share videos, short or long. First, they need to elicit an emotional reaction from their audience, and secondly they need to give their consumers a reason to share,” he concluded.
Click on the 100 Most Tweeted Vines to view all of them. Unruly has also developed a Social Video Player plug-in that allows brands to integrate Vine into their current social video campaigns. You can also gain more insight into Twitter’s Vine app by downloading Unruly’s Guide for Brands on Vine.