What are the formats for AdWords for Video (aka TrueView)? How can you get an email notification when a YouTube channel releases a new video? When is Vimeo better than YouTube for business? We answer these questions and more this week on ReelSEO TubeTalk: YouTube Video Marketing Tips.
- Dane Golden: HEY.com | Twitter | LinkedIn
- Tim Schmoyer: VideoCreators | ReelSEO | Twitter
- Matt Ballek: Magnet Media | Google+ | VidiSEO
This podcast is brought to you by the 2014 ReelVideo Summit, where marketers, storytellers, brands, and retailers gather to get serious about online video. The ReelVideo Summit takes place July 24-25 in San Francisco at the Hotel Nikko near Union Square. Find out more at ReelSummit.com.
THIS WEEK'S TIPS:
Tip #1: What Are the Formats for AdWords for Video (aka TrueView)?
Adwords for Video is Google's YouTube advertising platform. It uses the TrueView format.
Matt Ballek says there are three flavors of TrueView:
- Skippable In-Stream pre-rolls: Advertisers get charged after 30 seconds.
- In-Display: These show in the right hand column.
- In-Search: These show at the top above of search results. In-Search is now integrated into the In-Display targeting.
You can also specify that these ads show up on websites other than YouTube.com that are a part of the Google Display Network. Follow this link for an overview of the types of TrueView ads.
Tip #2: How can you get an email notification when a YouTube channel releases a new video?
Dane Golden describes how to get an email notification every time a YouTube channel you're subscribed to posts a new video. This can be useful to have from a channel that you're managing or a partner's or competitor's channel. A few years ago this option used to be more clearly promoted but now it's sort of hidden. But it's still there. Here's how to use it:
- Go to the YouTube channel or a video on that channel
- Click "Subscribe" if you haven't already.
- The icon will change to say "Subscribed."
- Click the gear icon next to the word "Subscribed."
- A "Subscription preferences" dialog box will pop up.
- Click the checkbox next to "Send me updates."
- Click "Save."
- Now you will get an email every time that channel posts a new video.
If you want to unsubscribe, you can do it the same way, except uncheck the "Send me updates" box. Or you can unsubscribe from the bottom of the email. Another way to subscribe or unsubscribe in bulk is by using your Subscription Manager.
Tip #3: When is Vimeo better than YouTube for business?
Tim Schmoyer put out a new ReelSEO video called "5 Ways Vimeo is Better than YouTube for your Business." Tim says Vimeo is better at:
- Video quality: Vimeo does a better job encoding your video.
- Customizable branded player: You can remove the Vimeo logo or add your own.
- Privacy controls: You can control where your video is embedded, and other features.
- Support: Vimeo promises to get back to you within one hour, any time of the day or night.
- Customizable URL: You can make it an easy-to-read name.
Dane also added that Vimeo is great for hosting videos during the behind-the-scenes video approval process with clients. It is also good if you don't want website viewers to know how many (or how few) views the video has received. Tim also mentioned that unlike YouTube, Vimeo videos can be replaced if you've made a change, while still using the same URL.