Time-lapse videos can turn the most mundane tourist or family footage into the most exciting or quirky clips you have ever created. But like most amateur footage, the end results are often shaky or imperfect. However, a new app from Instagram allows anyone with an Apple device compatible with iOS 7 to shoot beautiful time-lapse film without the need for tripods, Steadicams or other pricey equipment.
Now, shaky footage can be instantly stabilized, leaving you as the creator with video that looks professional. It's the first app that the Instagram team have built apart from their main product. Initially only available on Apple products, an Android version should be available once some tech issues are sorted. Here's the promo for the new app which became available today:
Creating a Time-lapse Video With Hyperlapse
- Download the Hyperlapse app from the Apple store (users won't need an Instagram account to access the app features).
- Tap the circle at the bottom of the app.
- Start Recording. A timer will be activated to the left of the screen that will show you how long you have been recording for. A timer will appear on the right of the screen to confirm how long your actual time-lapse video will be once it is sped up.
- Tap the circle again to stop recording.
- Choose the speed for your video by using the slider feature provided, The default speed is set at 6x.
- Save the video to your device's camera roll.
Instagram released a second video showing off the stabilization feature and you can see for yourself the very real difference it makes. We are super impressed. More information on the app can be found on the Instagram blog.