Merton

Merton was an ancient parish in the Brixton hundred of Surrey, England. It was bounded by Wimbledon to the north, Mitcham to the east, Morden to the south and Kingston upon Thames to the west. The 1871 Ordnance Survey map records its area as 1,764.704 acres (7.142 km). The parish was centred around the 12th century parish church, St. Mary’s in Merton Park. The parish had only nominal existence after 1907 when the Merton Parish Council was abolished and the parish formed the Merton Urban District. Merton contributed its name to the London Borough of Merton, although Merton itself is no longer a clearly defined area within the borough; and the parish was abolished on 1 April 1965 when Greater London was created.
The village of Merton was located on the Roman road Stane Street which connected London to Chichester. Locally, the road ran in a direct line from the current Colliers Wood High Street to London Road, Morden, crossing the site of Sainsbury’s Savacentre and the industrial estates…