New research shows that the time spent with social media can improve the engagement with online video for brands and business. Online video technology provider Brightcove has found that videos shared through social media perform better than other videos, have higher engagement rates and higher completion rates. For more on how to enhance the social impact of your videos, check out this week's New Media Minute:
The average Internet user in the U.S. spends about 4.5 hours a month on social networks, and new research shows that the time spent with social media can improve the engagement with online video, too, for brands and businesses.
Social Video Stats & Trends
The online video technology provider Brightcove has found that videos shared through social media perform better than other videos. For instance:
- Every auto-share Tweet from YouTube results in roughly 6 new YouTube viewing sessions.
- Videos shared via Facebook are driving traffic for brands and media companies .
- Viewers that find new videos to watch via friends or influencers on social networks are more likely to view or even complete watching an entire video.
- Web pages with video are 60% more likely–on pages with text–to show up on the first page of Google results.
Social Video Marketing Tips
So what can a brand or business do to enhance the social effect of video?
- Remember that video can drive traffic to your site.
- Make sure to include Facebook buttons and other sharing buttons on your videos and on the video player to enhance the pass-around rate.
- A clickable call-to-action in the video can boost engagement with your video and with your website, and users can easily go back to your site if they discover that video in a Facebook feed.
- Remember to monitor, assess, and measure how the videos that you're putting out are being shared, and where people are being referred from so you can assess what's working.