Listen to my podcast interview Telestream's VP of Marketing Barbara Dehart on the new release of Screenflow – the screen capturing software used for creating, editing and publishing as video files. Listen in on how the new version's enhancements will provide users with even better "business-quality video" than before.
Have you been in a situation where someone has used a video camcorder to recording what's going on a computer screen? (Believe me, this still happens, including with one of my own clients.) It's slow and ineffective, and certainly of poor quality when having to deal with screen flicker. What people really need is a software solution that can directly record what happens on the computer screen and have it save as a fully editable video file, that they can repurpose any way they want, and with any other media. This is referred to as a "screencast.”
Advantages of Screenflow's video screencast software
Telestream describes their product, Screenflow, as an easy-to-use, professional screencasting studio for Mac computer users. You can capture the contents of your computer desktop – as well as a video camera, microphone, and your computer's audio – into fully editable video files that can be quickly exported and published as playable video files, or "screencasts," for others to watch.
Here are some of the reasons that Video screencast software can be a very cost-effective and efficient way way to find, engage, educate, train, and motivate your audience anywhere online or offline.
- It's easy – most of businesses need video DIY solution that are not "tecchie.”
- It's high quality – the screen capture you make into a video can be as big as your computer screen already is. (Although you will likely want to size this down for bandwith purposes with an online viewing audience.)
- It's quick – files can be ready for editing once you stop the recording, and export speeds are impressive. (You can also work on a new screencast while compressing another screencast file in the background.)
- It's inexpensive – if you want to add audio and video of yourself, you can use any mic or your computer audio input, and your computer's own webcam – no additional camcorder needed!
- It's multi-integrated – On the better screencast programs like what Screenflow offers, you can add already-created video, audio, and image files to your screencast video.
- Its high on features – you can crop out parts of the screen, blur backgrounds, do callouts of foreground areas, zooms, add text objects, transitions, change clip speeds, freeze frames, adjust brightness and contrast, do color correction, audio ducking, and a lot more.
Features I'd like to see
While I still don't think there's any single tool that can really work as an all-in-one video solution for most business needs (although that probably depends on your business), here are a few features I would like to see Screenflow add with their next version:
- More publishing options besides YouTube – including automated FTP upload, like what Sorenson Media offers with its own product. (I have been informed by Barbara that more publishing options will be upcoming in their next version.)
- Better adherence to YouTube metadata limitations. Like in iMovie, the YouTube Export feature doesn't put a cap on how long you have your title description. This means it will get cut off in YouTube if you go over the character display limit, but you won't know that in Screenflow. (But I should add that I unless you're doing just a single video only for YouTube, hold off on using that feature in Screenflow. Save it instead for YouTube's batch upload, or a video distribution service like TubeMogul, where you can batch export videos to multiple video sharing sites.
Pricing and more info
Screenflow is available for $99 for new users, and $29 for the upgrade price.
I highly recommend checking out the video demos on the product site, as well the Screenflow blog, Facebook and Twitter page – all packed with great updates and excellent use of crowdsourcing for examples, tips and collaboration opportunities for what you can apply with Screenflow for your own business or organization.