I was reading about Ooyala just today and it occurred to me, wait a second, my good friend sitting across from me mentioned he was working with them on something… I will tell you more about Ooyala, but safe to say (knowing my friend), they are going to have one incredible product when it launches in full.
The startup began with Bismarck Lepe, Belsasar Lepe, and Sean Knapp. This group left Google, Inc. in early 2007 to start Ooyala, a video startup who's mission is to improve upon the delivery and monetization of online video. They officially started Ooyala in April of this year and secured funding shortly afterwards. They have been recruiting, developing, testing, and launching from their Mountain View offices.
We know from their video platform and that they have not missed their share of having fun while working. .that they have been forging ahead at full speed to bring to market a superior
I found this great presentation about Ooyala called "Ooyala AWS Start-Up Project Presentation" that presents their idea, business model, and plans in 81 pages of detail including some of the groundbreaking features that they hope will revolutionize the video experience.
Currently, Ooyala has released and is testing a FREE video content management system called Backlot.
Ooyala's Backlot is designed to support small, medium, and large content producers and is designed to help users with organizing, uploading, and syndicating videos.
Here are some additional features and details:
- Centralized High Quality Video
- CMS - Video Content Management
- Video Serving at NO charge
- Controlled Video Syndication
- Complete Reporting
- Formats Accepted:
- WMV, AVI, MOV, MPG, MPEG-2, FLV, SWF, MP4, and VOB. All formats are converted to Flash video after uploading.
- NO file Limitations. Any length and any file size. There are also no limits on the number of videos that can be uploaded to your account.
- Videos are ready for syndication within 24 hours of uploading and processing. The bigger the video file, the longer it will take to syndicate it.
- Works with Windows XP SP2, Vista Ultimate, and Mac OS 10.4.8 and 10.4.9 (Intel and PowerPC)
- 512 MB RAM required
- Ooyala does not permit the following video content:
- Pornographic or sexually explicit content
- Dangerous or illegal acts
- Copyrighted content
- Related and Competing Services include:
Here is a screen shot of the Backlot application from their website: