Another week has flown by and, as usual, there was too much online video news to keep up with it all. Thankfully for you, we have created this weekly online video news round up, which collects the very best news stories, opinions, and tips from around the web and compiles them all in one handy location.
If you were too busy to keep up with everything breaking in the world of online video, hopefully you'll find what you missed below.
Reel Stories You Might Have Missed
- We launched a ReelSEO widget! It's a way for publishers to include the latest and greatest news and editorial articles from ReelSEO.com on their website.
- Part 3 of our Social Video Blueprint series talked about how brands are going after views instead of impressions.
- We examined some of the fallout from Netflix's price hike, and also at the subtle differences between Hulu users and Netflix users.
- Grant discussed some excellent microphone advice from our pal Izzy Video.
- And in a couple of fantastic guest author posts, we learned how to set up a clickable call to action on a YouTube video for cheap, and how to navigate and understand the world of YouTube Insight analytics.
Online Video News
- GoogleTV is being called a failure by many, as Logitech lowers the price on Revue
- Everyone was also buzzing about Google Plus experiencing a traffic drop, even though it's likely just a leveling off of the initial excitement.
- Twitter is going to start warning users about naughty images and videos.
- Minorities in America are rushing to YouTube.
- Sundance is going to start streaming indie films online.
Online Video Editorials & Opinions
- The Washington Post points out that the inevitable future of mobile companies and ISP's charging customers for data usage will likely pose a huge problem for Netflix.
- William Common writes for Media Post about how social video is blurring the lines between entertainment and advertising.
- Tim Avila writes about separating fact from fiction with video ad exchanges.
- TMCnet looks at the cord-cutting issues some more, wondering if online video can have an impact.
Gadgets, Tools, & Software
- Sweet. This iPhone Skyfire app let's you save Flash videos to watch them later.
- Wow... YouTube is apparently responsible for 22% of the world's mobile bandwidth. That's a lot of mobile video.
- Google is beginning to roll out a means to share live YouTube video with friends within Google Plus Hangouts.
The Lighter Side of Online Video
- Old Spice Man won out over new spokesperson challenger, Fabio. I'm sure you're all relieved.
- I am already so freaking tired of the Marines-asking-out-celebrities-on-YouTube trend.
- The longest video on YouTube is 571 hours long.
- Did you know there's a live Shark Cam for Shark Week?