This week was overloaded with YouTube-related news. The video service is now fully integrated into Google Plus, their skippable TrueView ads now make up 50% of all the ads on the site and serve up 18 years of video ads per day, and the majority of their viewers come from non-English speakers. Of course, the week was filled with other online video news about Netflix, Vimeo, fair-use, and much more. If you need to get caught up on the past week of online video news, everything you need is right here:
Reel Stories You Might Have Missed
- Google Plus integrates YouTube (finally!).
- YouTube's TrueView video ads serve 18 years of video ads per day.
- Google can now index Facebook & Disqus comments.
- YouTube killed TV–except that it didn't.
- Is fair-use on YouTube about to die?
- Vimeo Perks offers users a way to get affordable video gear.
- ABC signed new streaming deals with Netflix and Amazon Prime.
- How do you measure ROI in online video?
- 50% of all YouTube ads are now skippable.
- Social video works.
- More than half of YouTube views come from non-English speakers.
Online Video News
- NBC is investing big in its local affiliates. (Lost Remote)
- Hacker group Anonymous is threatening (with an online video) to disclose information on a Mexican cartel. (Washington Post)
- Cisco says in three years 90% of all Internet traffic will be video. (Social Times)
- Time-shifted online viewing of TV shows is on the rise. (Paid Content)
- The Wall Street Journal Live is coming to Google TV and Roku. (Lost Remote)
- Apparently customers are not that worried about the Redbox price hike. (Home Media Magazine)
- Bravo TV is really into companion web series for its shows. (Tubefilter)
- Comcast loses some video customers, but adds Internet subscribers. (Light Reading Cable)
Online Video Editorials & Opinions
- News stories that impact online video that you should know about. (Media Post)
- What will the future of TV look like? (No Film School)
- Charter Communications says they're an ISP company (as opposed to a cable company). (Multichannel News)
- For some brands, YouTube channels are a platform. (Media Post)
- An interview with one of the new YouTube premium partner channels. (Hollywood Reporter)
- Netflix should copy the cable model. (Advertising Age)
Gadgets, Tools, Tips, & Software
- Use YouTube Annotations to create calls-to-action. (ReelSEO)
- WeVideo (now powering YouTube editing) releases premium commercial offerings. (Cloud Beat)
- Connect with your audience's fears and needs. (ReelSEO)
- Create realistic curtains using After Effects. (Filmmaker IQ)
- You might find this list of online video contest platforms helpful. (ReelSEO)
The Lighter Side of Online Video
- The YouTube Comment Insult Generator is pretty good fun. (ReelSEO)
- Life In A Day is streaming free on YouTube… you should watch it. (ReelSEO)
- The animated Rick Perry video is pretty popular. (Yahoo News)
- Sweet – there's a trailer for the next Grand Theft Auto game. (ReelSEO)
Don't Miss Any Stories!
Get daily online video news, tips and trends via email!