Allow me to apologize for the very tardy nature of this online video news round up article. I've been dealing with an unexpected illness, and couldn't get it completed until now. We'll be back on our normal schedule for the article next weekend.
Well, last week was yet another big week for online video news, with stories making waves from Netflix, YouTube, and many more. We're also tossing in a few stories that have a horror or fright angle--perfect for Halloween. So if you missed any news from the last week of online video, you can catch up on everything right here!
Reel Stories You Might Have Missed
- Take This Lollipop - The clever and frightening video project that preys on Facebook privacy fears.
- Microsoft's YouTube channel got hacked.
- YouTube finally announced their starting lineup of celebrity partner channels - the ones they paid over $100 Million for, reportedly.
- Pretty big update for Google TV.
- This week's episode of The Reel Web talked about using copyrighted music on YouTube.
- Netflix had a pretty massive stock drop this week after announcing an 800,000 subscriber loss.
- My Business Story, from Google & American Express.
- Google Plus is now open to Google Apps users.
Online Video News
- Netflix makes up 33% of downstream Internet traffic in the U.S. (MultiChannel)
- Warner Brothers has stopped sending their new films to Blockbuster. (Fierce Online Video)
- Facebook is more popular than TV during work hours. (Lost Remote)
- Yikes, 600,000 Facebook logins hacked every day. (Gawker)
- Redbox raised their prices a whopping 20%!!! Don't worry, that's only 20 cents. (Hollywood Reporter)
- Consumers are more tolerant of video ads when they're placed on premium content. (Media Post)
- Time Warner still losing money, cord-cutting slowly continues. (Paid Content)
- DirecTV adds live, in-home streaming, to iPad app. (MultiChannel)
Online Video Editorials & Opinions
- Leverage current news stories to develop evergreen video. (Media Post)
- Hurdles to the growth of video ads? (Paid Content)
- What's really next on the horizon for Apple and televisions? (New York Times)
- Exploring the art and science of social TV. (Streaming Media)
- Mobile video ad networks overrun with home run hitters? (Media Post)
Gadgets, Tools, Tips, & Software
- A new device that may help cord-cutters. (Fierce Online Video)
- Video tips from our Blogworld contest submissions and winners. (ReelSEO)
- Canon DLSR tips. (Filmmaker.com)
- The GoPro Hero2 sounds pretty amazing. (Gizmodo)
- Tutorial on using a light meter. (No Film School)
- How to use video to engage your website visitors. (ReelSEO)
The Lighter Side Of Online Video
- William Shatner's version of Bohemian Rhapsody - You either love it or you hate it. (ReelSEO)
- This creepy ad is a pretty clever piece of video marketing. (ReelSEO)
- TED is going to hold a second annual Ads Worth Spreading contest. (YouTube)
- Scary and creepy web series and videos, classic and current. (ReelSEO)
- The live streaming Coldplay concert on YouTube was pretty cool. (ReelSEO)