Well, YouTube can't redesign every week, and they did that last week... so this week's online video news cycle belonged to some of the other players for once. We had several bits of rumor and speculation on the future of Netflix, Google Plus' beefed up Hangouts capabilities, Twitter's redesign which leaves a prominent place for branded video, and much more. Read on to catch up on any story you might have missed.
We're teaming up with author Steve Stockman for a fun video contest we're calling The Suckies--it's a quest to find the best examples of sucky business videos on the web. Read more about it, including what the prizes are and how to win.
Free Ebook From Nalts & ReelSEO
If you're a business looking for practical tips for getting started with online video, check out the free ebook from Nalts and ReelSEO called Online Video 101: Small Business. You can get it for free right here!
Reel Stories You Might Have Missed
- The new Twitter design lets brands have fun with video.
- YouTube For Schools is an awesome project.
- The Reel Web looks at the new Xbox Live dashboard and more.
- Louis CK scores big with independent comedy video distribution.
- UltraViolet launching in the UK.
- Is Verizon thinking of buying Netflix?
- The Watch It button will help you know where your favorite movies are playing.
- Over 200 billion video views in a month.
Online Video News
- TV budgets shifting to video ad spend. (MediaPost)
- You watch 16 minutes of online video advertising every month. (Tubefilter)
- Google Plus rolled out some major upgrades for Hangouts. (ReelSEO)
- Does anyone know what's legal and illegal on YouTube anymore? (Web TV Wire)
- Your favorite YouTube ad of 2011 is an Apple commercial. (All Things D)
Online Video Editorials & Opinions
- Why Google TV will win. (GigaOm)
- At the same time, we have: Will Google TV win? (Web TV Wire)
- Parody videos - what you can do to help you stay legal. (ReelSEO)
- What should we call a "web series?" Should it even matter? (ReelSEO)
- Interesting piece on a VH1 show that used Facebook to find an audience. (Lost Remote)
Gadgets, Tools, Tips, & Software
- Sweet, a new Roku update. (ReelSEO)
- Netflix updated its iOS device with a new interface for iPads. (Venture Beat)
- Video viewing on gaming consoles continues to rise. (ReelSEO)
- Are you DIY enough to build your own jib? (DIY Photography)
- 12 new apps for the updated Xbox dashboard. (ReelSEO)
The Lighter Side Of Online Video
- Not video related at all, but tons of people are enjoying the Google "Let It Snow" Easter egg. (ReelSEO)
- Tim Tebow had microphones on him during the last game he played. (YouTube)
- The Google Zeitgeist Year In Review 2011 video is amazing. (ReelSEO)
Don't Miss Any Stories!
Get daily online video news, tips and trends via email!