Greetings, and a good Sunday morning/afternoon to you. If you're like me, you had a pretty busy week. And if that's the case, then there's a good chance you missed a major news story or fantastic editorial article in the world of online video. But fear not. This weekly column exists as a way for you to get caught up quickly on the very latest online video news.
Reel Stories You May Have Missed
In the Internet TV realm:
- A federal judge smacked down Netflix competitor Zediva for copyright violations.
- Hulu announced their own original entertainment series with documentary filmmaker Morgan Spurlock.
- New Media Minute's Daisy Whitney wonders if Netflix will be king of the living room.
- Logitech's Revue device (for Google TV) dropped its price to $99.
- Apple finally made some great updates to Apple TV.
In other Reel News:
- Guest authors taught us how to shoot interview videos that don't suck and how YouTube isn't the problem with video marketing... marketers are.
- Vimeo announced Vimeo Pro--new account levels for businesses.
- Part 4 of our Social Video Blueprint series was released.
Online Video News
- YuMe has a new CEO.
- Latest rumors: Internet-connected TVs from Apple coming in March.
- Dish Network is gearing up to challenge Netflix.
- DirectTV, on the other hand, is looking to buy Netflix outright.
- Netflix is trying to add more new content in a deal with Lionsgate UK.
Online Video Editorials & Opinions
- What can Monopoly teach us about online video?
- Laurie Sullivan at Media Post wonders exactly how those popular YouTube stars are making their money.
- Online video is an incredibly popular tool with hospitals.
Gadgets, Tools, & Software
- Sweet! Skype two-way chat on Android!
- Inman News takes a look at Stupeflix.
- Skype-based job listings?
- PC World has "Video Chatting for Newbies," including tips on equipment and production.
The Lighter Side of Video
- The latest campaign from Old Spice was another huge success.
- Because I know you're dying for it: here's the latest kid being called "the next Justin Bieber."