comScore, a leader in measuring the digital world, today released October 2008 data from the comScore Video Metrix service, reporting that U.S. Internet users viewed 13.5 billion online videos during the month, representing an increase of 45 percent versus year ago.
Top U.S. Online Video Properties* by Videos Viewed October 2008 Total U.S. - Home/Work/University Locations Source: comScore Video Metrix Property Videos Share (%) of (000) Videos Total Internet 13,536,595 100.0 Google Sites 5,373,783 39.7 Fox Interactive Media 519,926 3.8 Yahoo! Sites 363,426 2.7 Viacom Digital 305,258 2.3 Microsoft Sites 286,464 2.1 Hulu 235,096 1.7 Turner Network 228,024 1.7 Disney Online 126,611 0.9 AOL LLC 122,580 0.9 ESPN 104,724 0.8 * Rankings based on video content sites; excludes video server networks. Online video includes both streaming and progressive download video.
Top U.S. Online Video Properties* by Unique Viewers October 2008 Total U.S. - Home/Work/University Locations Source: comScore Video Metrix Property Unique Viewers Average Videos (000) per Viewer Total Internet 147,283 91.9 Google Sites 100,475 53.5 Fox Interactive Media 60,791 8.6 Yahoo! Sites 45,187 8.0 Microsoft Sites 30,696 9.3 Viacom Digital 25,658 11.9 HULU.COM 23,993 9.8 AOL LLC 22,743 5.4 Turner Network 20,858 10.9 Disney Online 13,757 9.2 CBS Corporation 13,639 4.7 * Rankings based on video content sites; excludes video server networks. Online video includes both streaming and progressive download video.
Other notable findings from October 2008 include:
- 77 percent of the total U.S. Internet audience viewed online video.
- The average online video viewer watched 274 minutes of video.
- More than 80 percent of the 18-34 year olds watched online video, higher than any other age segment. The average 18-34 year old online video viewer watched 4.8 hours of video during the month, also ranking above all other age segments.
- 99.5 million viewers watched 5.3 billion videos on YouTube.com (53.2 videos per viewer).
- 51.2 million viewers watched 520 million videos on MySpace.com (8.0 videos per viewer).
- The duration of the average online video was 3.0 minutes.
- The duration of the average online video viewed at Hulu was 11.6 minutes, higher than any other video property in the top ten.
Don't Miss Any Stories!
Get daily online video news, tips and trends via email!