Brightcove has been a trusted provider of video hosting, distribution, and monetization for publishers and brands for several years. This morning, at their Brightcove Play 2011 conference, CEO and founder, Jeremy Allaire, unveiled a new product aimed at giving publishers the same kind of customizable solution for mobile applications and touchscreen device content.
The Brightcove App Cloud Platform
From the Brightcove release:
Audiences are increasingly discovering, consuming, sharing, and creating content through installable apps and touch Web experiences on smartphones, tablet devices and emerging new platforms such as Internet-connected televisions. Media companies and marketers are struggling with the cost and complexity of delivering and managing great content experiences across all these new platforms. App Cloud represents the emergence of a new kind of integrated solution designed to address these challenges: the content app platform.
AppCloud also boasts:
- Content Connectors that provide universal connectivity to content stored in existing Web content management systems, online video platforms, blogs, photo-sharing services, and custom systems that support open APIs.
- Content Optimization Services that offer a high performance user experience over limited bandwidth connections by synchronizing, transcoding, caching, and delivering content.
- Actionable Analytics that facilitate ongoing business optimization by closely tracking installations, usage time, and other analytics.
- Intelligent Push Services that facilitate cross platform delivery of native push notifications to users based on geographic locale to engage users with timely, relevant information.
- Account Administration Services for centrally managing system users, templates, content connections, and apps.
Existing AppCloud Example - LifeTime's Army Wives
This was developed using the beta version of App Cloud and includes features like: Twitter feed, TV schedule, cast profiles, video and more. You can download the app here.
Conclusion - Brightcove App Cloud - HUGE
Don't let the standard press-release language fool you... this is huge news, at least for Brightcove. App Cloud is a bold new endeavor that aims to extend Brightcove's reach well beyond the world of video. Of course, there's an awful lot of video content being developed for touchscreen devices and mobile apps, so it's not like this is a huge reach into an entirely new field for them. But it's telling that part of App Cloud's release includes the rebranding of Brightcove's video platform to Video Cloud. Brightcove has essentially changed its stripes overnight, changing from a video platform into a cloud development and hosting platform.
It's not the world's first app development system, but it's the first to come from a company with the size, reach, and reputation that Brightcove has. My guess is it will do very well indeed, and I can't wait to try it out.