Brightcove and Adobe are getting all the more friendly these days with the announcement today of a new strategic alliance that is set to deliver the best-in-class online video solution as they collaborate on tech and DRM matters. They're also said to be working on a desktop tool to streamline onlnie video workflow. The Adobe open media player 'Strobe' tech is said to be interoperable with Brightcove's platform
"Brightcove is the online video platform for hundreds of major media companies in 27 countries, each with unique market demands and increasingly complex requirements around quality and security," said Jeremy Allaire, CEO, Brightcove. "Extending our collaboration with Adobe provides these media companies with unparalleled choice and control over video experiences and distribution on the Web. Together, Adobe and Brightcove will deliver a truly unique value proposition to the online video market.”
With this expanded strategic alliance, Adobe and Brightcove offer one of the most powerful and comprehensive solutions for broadcasters and media organizations to deliver secure, up to HD-quality, long-form content to consumers through standard Web browsers without the need for non-standard software plug-ins or proprietary technology stacks.
"Adobe has a long history of driving innovation for rich, engaging media and video experiences on the Web," said Jim Guerard, vice president and general manager of Dynamic Media at Adobe. "Expanding our successful long-term collaboration with a market leader like Brightcove and its significant global reach will further accelerate the adoption of the Adobe Flash Platform, and pave the way for new initiatives like Adobe Strobe, our open and extensible media player framework.”
The collaboration between the two companies will focus on four strategic areas:
- Long form media delivery – The companies plan to collaborate to help publishers of premium content take full advantage of the dynamic streaming, encryption, and H.264 delivery capabilities of Adobe Flash Media Streaming Server 3.5 software to deliver up to HD-quality video experiences through the Brightcove platform. The broad reach of the Brightcove platform and its use among top publishers and media outlets worldwide will help accelerate the adoption of these features to more rapidly advance the online video industry.
- Content Protection for video viewed via the Adobe Flash Platform – The companies are working on a plan to enable content owners to prevent abuse while offering an outstanding end user experience.
- Integration with Adobe Creative Suite 4 Production Premium – Brightcove and Adobe plan to collaborate to better integrate Adobe Creative Suite 4 Production Premium software, including the powerful Adobe Media Encoder, with the Brightcove platform to streamline online publishing workflows while preserving valuable metadata.
- "Strobe" – The companies plan to work together to ensure interoperability between the Adobe open media player framework, based on the Flash Platform, and the Brightcove online video platform.
- Brightcove and Adobe plan to announce a series of ongoing initiatives as part of their strategic alliance later this year. The alliance also provides a framework for marketing and sales activities between the companies to ensure effective field-level collaboration worldwide.
This may sound like it will give Brightcove an unfair advantage in the online video platform market and it could very well do so. However it could also force others to make new partnerships that offer a stronger competitor as well.
Business drives Innovation, did IBM say that? Either way, it's certainly going to lead to better online video for us.
Don't Miss Any Stories!
Get daily online video news, tips and trends via email!