Businesses spend millions of dollars to have celebrities make appearances in their commercials and Web videos. Just think about the ads that feature William Shatner as "The Priceline Negotiator" or Jennifer Lopez's notorious commercial for Gillette "Venus" razors. Companies pay a pretty penny to secure celebrities in their videos, but is it really necessary to roll out the red carpet to have a successful video campaign?
The tides have changed in the video world. Just like social media has revolutionized "word of mouth" advertising, online video has also given a new opportunity for businesses. The good news is that if you own a small to medium size company, you can take advantage of using a celebrity in your video marketing.
Where can you find a celebrity who isn't going to cost you a fortune? Look in the mirror.
Video has provided a platform for businesses of all sizes and has allowed individuals to position themselves as experts. In short, Web video can make you a celebrity.
The Celebrity is You
By definition, a celebrity is someone who is easily recognizable and has a high profile. When you create interesting and relevant video, your target will begin to recognize you, which will ultimately raise your profile.
Specifically, video makes you "the" celebrity within your industry for the following reasons:
- People feel like they have known you for years. In a way, do you feel like you kind of know major celebrities like Jennifer Aniston or Martin Sheen? You get this sense because you have seen these celebrities multiple times on the screen. You may have seen them interviewed on television as well, which gives you insight into their personalities, mannerisms and overall character. Video will do the same thing for you. If your target market is able to see you, they will already feel like they have met you in person.
- You can showcase your expertise. You may have years of experience in your industry and/or attended one of the top schools in the country. Yet, establishing yourself as an expert can still be a daunting task. Video makes it easier for you. Instead of telling people you are an expert, video allows you to show them. For example, use video to answer a common question that is asked of you by your customers or clients. Create a video that highlights how you were able to help someone. Utilize online video to showcase a product or service you created. You get the idea.
- Online video allows you to reach a wide audience. You never know when a video will go viral. Some people have been able to catapult their careers by simply creating catchy and interesting Web videos. Your marketing videos may or may not get millions of views, but you can expect that they will reach a wide audience – a much wider one than television, radio or print media would attain. You can get your face and name in front of your target market. Can we say instant stardom?
Simple Tips to Creating Videos That Make You the Celebrity
Creating video that will elevate you to celebrity status isn't as hard you as you might think. If you know your subject matter well and know what your customer base is interested in, simply do the following:
- Develop videos that speak directly to your target audience. Think of the common questions or concerns that your potential customers share. Use your videos to address them.
- Focus on your viewer, not yourself. When you create videos with the intent to market yourself or your business, you need to focus on the viewers. They really do not want to listen to you describe how great you are or how you have the best product around. They want to know that you understand what they care about and need.
- Don't discount the quality of your videos. Just about everyone has the capability to quickly shoot a video and upload it to YouTube. However, quality plays a factor in the success of videos for businesses. Make sure that your videos are of high quality and do not look like something you shot in the basement.
The Internet has given us opportunities that never existed before. Whether you run a small mom and pop shop or a corporation, you can use Web video to attract more business. Don't wait! Become the celebrity within your field today.