Smaller advertisers are beginning to use simple online video ads, tagged and indexed for search engine pickup, to connect with local audiences. The question is: how can small companies create the most effective video ads on a budget?
- Keep it simple. Simple, concise ads work best online for two reasons: viewers don't want to read large volumes of text on their computer screen; and the online environment in which your ad will appear will already have a lot going on visually. To stand out, your ad needs to be clean and concise.
- Get to the point. Research shows that people decide if they want to read more about a topic on a website in 8 seconds or less. Ads that contain specific, immediate benefits, such as a promotion or discount, resonate strongly.
- Be smart about text. If you have a lot of text, you may need to vary the size of the type to allow it to fit into the ad space. If so, Jivox recommends no more than two type sizes in one ad, with the largest type size on top. Also, never use more than two fonts and avoid using all caps.
- Use relevant visuals. The visuals in a video ad should be eye catching but, more importantly, they should also communicate a relevant message. Clean, simple graphics are more likely to catch the eye of the viewer.
- Test and re-test. Video is such a flexible medium that it pays to experiment with different creative, formats and messages to find the combination that works the best. Set aside a portion of your budget to test different approaches so that you can see how response rates fluctuate when you change the visuals, call-to-action, price points or add a promotional offer.
"Whether you're a new advertiser looking to get started, or a marketing agency coaching your clients on best practices in video advertising, keeping these simple tips in mind will help you develop online video ads that get results," said Diaz Nesamoney, CEO of Jivox.
Don't Miss Any Stories!
Get daily online video news, tips and trends via email!