Smartphones are spreading like wildfire and users are beginning to rely more and more on them according to a recent study, The Mobile Movement: Understanding Smartphone Users, done by Google and Ipsos OTX, an independent market research firm. They pinged 5,013 US adult smartphone owners who use them for Internet near the end of 2010.
The report wasn't really about video usage on the smartphones but more of a general usage survey. However, I thought that it would be of interest to online/mobile video marketers and advertisers because of some of the numbers and the webinar which is scheduled for today.
Some stats that made me laugh (because they had to ask some strange questions) include the fact that 39% use their smartphones while using the toilet, 22% while reading the newspaper, 1 out of 3 users would give up chocolate for their smartphone (high heels and cable TV were also in that list).
Here are some quick highlights from the report in regards to adverts:
71% of smartphone users search because of an ad they've seen either online or offline; 82% of smartphone users notice mobile ads, 74% of smartphone shoppers make a purchase as a result of using their smartphones to help with shopping, and 88% of those who look for local information on their smartphones take action within a day.
- 81% browse the Internet, 77% search, 68% use an app, and 48% watch videos on their smartphone
- 72% use their smartphones while consuming other media, with a third while watching TV
- Search engine websites are the most visited websites with 77% of smartphone users citing this, followed by social networking, retail and video sharing websites
- Nine out of ten smartphone searches results in an action (purchasing, visiting a business, etc.)
- 95% of smartphone users have looked for local information
- 88% of these users take action within a day, indicating these are immediate information needs
- 77% have contacted a business, with 61% calling and 59% visiting the local business
- 71% search on their phones because of an ad exposure, whether from traditional media (68%) to online ads (18%) to mobile ads (27%)
- 82% notice mobile ads, especially mobile display ads and a third notice mobile search ads
- Half of those who see a mobile ad take action, with 35% visiting a website and 49% making a purchase
So if you don't believe in the power of marketing to those smartphone users, you might want to take another look at that stance. To help with that, Google will have a full webinar today with all the results of the report.
Register for "The Mobile Movement: Understanding Smartphone Users" webinar on Wednesday, April 27th at 11am PST/ 2pm EST. To receive the research report, visit the Google Mobile Ads blog after April 27th to download a complimentary copy of the study.
Don't Miss Any Stories!
Get daily online video news, tips and trends via email!