"You have a lot of younger creatives at the ad agencies who have grown up on the Web who don't think in terms oftraditional60-second spots anymore. Our Top 10 shows that this new type of creative – less brand, more entertainment – is finding bigger and bigger audiences online." – said Josh Warner, President, Feed Company
Here's the criteria Feed Company used forselectingtheTop 10 Viral Video Ads of 2008.
- Essential viability – all the picks from Levi's "Guys Backflip into Jeans" to brand Obama "Yes We Can" to are infinitely shareable and possessed incredibly high number of views, favoritism, and comments.
- Centered around a big concept – all the picks were centered by simple, big creative concepts that were extremely well executed – traveling around the world to share a dance, a collage style music video inspired by Obama's acceptance speech following the New Hampshire primary, a ball girl scaling a baseball field wall to communicate Gatorade's re-hydrating powers
- Breadth of executions – we wanted to reflect the breadth of executions that are finding big audiences online – from the "faux" viral – Bike Hero – to the controversial and highly stylized – Diesel- to the celebrity driven – Kobe Bryant.
And the winners are….. Drum roll please
1. "Where the Hell is Matt?”
Advertiser: Stride Gum | Ad Agency: Matt Harding
2. "Obama Yes We Can”Advertiser: NA | Ad Agency: will.i.a.m and Jesse Dylan
3. "Backflip Into Jeans”
Advertiser: Gatorade | Ad Agency: Element 79
5. "Wario Land: Shake It!”
This one is really cool ;-)
Advertiser: Nintendo | Ad Agency: Goodby, Silverstein & Partners
6. "Take It To The Next Level” – Advertiser: Nike | Ad Agency: 72andSunny
7. "Bike Hero” – Advertiser: Activision | Ad Agency: Droga5
8. "SFW XXX Party Invitation" – Advertiser: Diesel | Ad Agency: Viral Factory
9. "Kobe Jumps Over Car" – Advertiser: Nike | Ad Agency: Weiden + Kennedy
10. "Square Peg Round Hole” – Advertiser: Electronic Arts | Ad Agency: Weiden + Kennedy
Thanks to Josh from Feed Company for the great round-up.