This morning (at the ungodly hour of 3:01 a.m. ET), the YouTube team announced its list of the 10 most-watched video ads of 2011. I know, I know. Some kids can't wait until daybreak to find out what Santa has left them under the Christmas tree.
But some of us video marketers and producers can't wait until then to find out what YouTube has put on the top of the list of most watched video ads of the year (eliminating music videos and trailers).
The 10 Most Watched Video Ads On YouTube In 2011
Without checking it twice, here's who made the list:
1. VW - The Force -- The spot features a pint-sized Darth Vader who uses the Force when he discovers the all-new 2012 Passat in the driveway. It leverages humor and the unforgettable Star Wars™ score to create an emotional commercial.
2. T-Mobile - Royal Wedding -- Watch the wedding entrance dance to top all wedding entrance dances. T-Mobile's Royal Wedding Dance celebrates the marriage of William and Kate with the help of a host of royal look alikes and music from East 17!
3. Chrysler - Imported From Detroit -- The Chrysler 200 has arrived. Imported from Detroit.
4. DC Shoes - Ken Block's Gymkhana Four: The Hollywood Megamercial – DC and Ken Block present Gymkhana FOUR: The Hollywood Megamercial. GYM4 surpasses the high-production style of Gymkhana TWO with even more spectacular effects shot in the backlots of Universal Studios, California. Filmed over the course of five days, director Ben Conrad (Zombieland and 30 Seconds or Less) and his team at Logan deliver a Hollywood caliber production complete with pyrotechnics, massive stunts and a series of unbelievable tricks. Featuring robotic sharks, deranged zombies, and a hilarious cameo by the Epic Meal Time guys, Ken Block and his Hybrid FunctionHoon Vehicle (H.F.H.V.) bring the magic of Hollywood and gymkhana together.
5. smartwater - Jennifer Aniston goes viral – Ten million views and counting. See what all the hype is about.
6. Team Hot Wheels - The Yellow Driver's World Record Jump – The Yellow Driver of Team Hot Wheels breaks the world record for distance jump in a four-wheeled vehicle at the Indianapolis 500 on May 29th 2011. Watch as the Yellow Driver, Tanner Foust, drops 10 stories down 90 feet of orange track and soars 332 feet through the air.
7. Old Spice - Scent Vacation – Take your nose on a scent vacation full of fun memories and heart surprises.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3R2cnxz27LI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
8. Apple - Introducing Siri on iPhone 4S -- Siri on iPhone 4S lets you use your voice to send messages, set reminders, place phone calls, and more.
9. Samsung - Unleash Your Fingers -- A l'occasion du lancement du Galaxy SII en France, Samsung est allé chercher JayFunk à Los Angeles pour une chorégraphie de Finger Tutting surprenante... For the launch of the Galaxy SII in France, Samsung brought JayFunk, the internet Finger Tutting phenomenon, from Los Angeles to Paris to deliver an incredible and surprising choreography.
10. adidas - D Rose: adiZero Rose 2 The Bull -- D. Rose like you've never seen before unveils the new adiZero Rose 2. Exclusively designed for the MVP.
Now, I think I've seen – and written about – seven of these video ads before today. But there were still some surprises on the list. Hopefully, my kids will feel the same way when they unwrap their presents – you know, the ones that Santa's going to bring them.
Merry Christmas, happy Hanukkah, and don't forget Festivus.
Don't Miss Any Stories!
Get daily online video news, tips and trends via email!